Like the Bassman, which preceded it by mere months, the Twin was unveiled before it had even been named, and its design included some significant firsts.

Although it was introduced at the 1952 NAMM show only as Fender’s new “Hi Fidelity” guitar amp, it was, as author Tom Wheeler notes in , “a milestone.” First, although still tweed-covered, it looked different from any previous Fender amp.

dating fender twin reverb amp-90dating fender twin reverb amp-85dating fender twin reverb amp-41

Dating fender twin reverb amp video

The second wide-panel version, mid-1954’s model 5D8, had different preamp, phase inverter and rectifier tubes, and boasted a tonally versatile advance in the form of a presence control and tone controls that were more responsive.

Major cosmetic and electronic changes ensued in 1955.

It also included the oddball “Style” control, a three-position knob that controlled “Pop,” “Normal,” and “CW/RR” settings.

No need here to rehash the well-documented failure of the experiment; suffice it to say that the solid-state Twin was retired in 1969 and the entire series was abandoned in 1971.

Describing them in , Wheeler notes that they and the other narrow-panel amps “offered technological advancements, signature tones, handsome appearance, ruggedness, and a something-for-every-player variety that would take Fender to the pinnacle of amplifier manufacturing.” Like most other Fender amps, the Twin exchanged its tweed covering for Tolex in 1960, but only after it seemingly “disappeared” for a few months starting in January of that year.

Although it ruled the Fender guitar amp line in the ’50s, the Twin, as authors John Teagle and John Sprung note in , “ended up in limbo for a short period” as Fender introduced a new top-of-the-line amp, the Vibrasonic, and perfected its piggyback Showman prototypes (unlike many of its stablemates, the Twin never evolved into a piggyback model).A master volume control first appeared on the Twin Reverb in 1972.The Fender logo lost its tail by 1976, around which time pull-boost and hum balance controls were added.These amps had six knobs: normal volume, bright volume, bass, treble, presence and new “middle,” and by 1958 their speakers were once again in a straight side-by-side configuration in a larger cabinet.It’s hard to overstate the significance of the powerful E and F series Twins of 1955-1959.The 1962 model received wheat grille cloth late in the year, and a black metal-reinforced handle replaced the brown handle in early 1963.